Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Crispy outside, creamy inside, soybeans three ways. Perfect for a bento box lunch. Adapted from a recipe at Serious Eats. http://bit.ly/hjgNUR
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger (peel first)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons edamame
- 1 lb firm tofu, drained
- 3 tablespoons miso
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt (omit if the miso you choose is salty)
- cornstarch, for coating
- Saute green onion and chopped ginger in sesame oil until limp, 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Boil edamame in water to barely cover until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Chop very coarsely and set aside.
- Combine tofu, miso, salt (if needed) and green onion mixture until smooth (using hands or food processor). Fold in chopped edamame by hand or with a spatula.
- Divide into 9 pieces. Form each into a round or oval pattie and coat in cornstarch. Fry in vegetable oil 1" deep (the oil is hot enough when a small bit of the mixture turns brown in 3-4 seconds). Fry in batches without overcrowding, until browned all over. Drain on paper towel and cool to room temperature.