Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This World War II recipe was first published by Marmite and is a tasty Vegetarian alternative to regular Rissoles. I've rewritten the directions to be a little more precise and suit modern methods to a greater extent. Marmite is a British 'spread' and you can obtain it at an international grocery store in the United States. As a WWII ad for Marmite says "stock your larder with a few jars of Marmite now!". Enjoy :) Please Note: Preparation time includes Rice Cooking time!
- Boil the rice in vegetable stock (about 45 minutes or until cooked).
- Add mustard and horseradish.
- Add Marmite (I like about 1-2 teaspoons) Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Make into 'Rissoles' by rolling into 1.5 inch balls and then pressing lightly with a fork.
- Dip in beaten Egg.
- Coat in Breadcrumbs or dry Oatmeal.
- Fry in Vegetable Oil- either shallow pan fry or deep fry in a basket until crisp on the outside.
- Serve with Potatoes, Vegetables and Gravy for a full meal.