1/2 Photos of Mongolian Beef
Sue Lau's Note:
This can be made with other cuts of beef, but flank steak gives the best, and most authentic flavor to this dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb beef flank steak, partially frozen
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- peanut oil (or other preferred)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups green onions, cut into 1 inch pieces on the diagonal
- 3 -4 ounces bean thread noodles (Sai Fun)
- hot cooked rice (optional, if desired)
- 1Trim fat from partially frozen beef, and slice thinly across the grain into thin strips.
- 2Prepare a sauce in a small bowl of water, rice wine, hoisin sauce, bean sauce, soy sauce, cornstarch, and sesame oil; stir well and set aside.
- 3Prepare Sai Fun: Heat several inches of oil in a wok or fryer.
- 4Pull bean thread noodles apart slightly and drop into hot oil and stand back a bit; almost immediately they should puff up enormously (so don't put in very many at a time).
- 5When they have done this, lift them from the oil and drain on paper toweling and begin stir-fry.
- 6Pour one tbsp of oil into wok heat to hot but not smoking; add garlic and stir-fry briefly; add green onion and stir-fry until onions are tender, remove from wok.
- 7Add more oil to wok if needed; add the beef to wok and stir-fry about 2-3 minutes, then stir in sauce and cook until thick and bubbly.
- 8Add onions back to wok and stir everything together.
- 9To serve, place some of the"Sai Fun" (crispy noodles) on the plate and cover with a portion of the stir-fry.
- 10Serve this immediately, as if it sits too long, the noodles start to get soggy.
- 11Serve with rice also, if desired.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mongolian Beef
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 480.5
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 77.2 mg
- Sodium 516.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 44.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
brown bean sauce