Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I'm posting this for a request, I haven't made it yet but it's from my precious 'Madam Wong's Long-Life Chinese Cookbook' and that book hasn't failed me yet. I'm submitting the recipe pretty much as is but the first step of deep-frying could probably be stir-fried instead, as I do that with most of her other recipes.
- 1 lb flank steak, shredded
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (may omit if desired)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups oil, for deep-frying
- 1⁄2 cup bamboo shoot, shredded
- 1 cup scallion, green parts only,cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili paste with garlic
- Combine beef, egg white, salt and 1 tablespoon cornstarch; mix well with hand.
- heat oil to 400°; deep-fry beef 30 seconds; drain (or stir-fry beef in 1-2 tablespoons oil).
- reheat 2 tablespoons oil in a wok; stir-fry bamboo shoots and scallions 1 minute.
- Combine sauce ingredients in a bowl; add to vegetables; bring to a boil; add beef; stir-fry quickly until thoroughly heated.