1/1 Photo of Moroccan Shrimp Briwats (Like Egg Rolls)
1 hr 10 mins
Nicole Isabella's Note:
In Morocco, briwats can be stuffed with sweet or savory fillings. This is a savory filling that is somewhat modern in origin. This recipe is an adaptation of both my Moroccan mother-in-law's version (though she adds garlic) and a recipe found in the book "Cooking at the Kasbah" by Kitty Norse. Some people also add soy sauce to the mixture (a sure sign of the recipe's modernity; soy sauce, as you can imagine, is not "native" to Morocco!) :) These are yummy snacks and surprisingly light, despite being fried. Do try to find the lumpia wrappers--briwats should not be doughy, but instead light and crispy, and the lumpia wrappers do the job nicely.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 ounces rice vermicelli
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 12 ounces shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 3 tablespoons cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons Italian parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- lumpia skins, found at asian stores (I do NOT suggest egg roll wrappers such as those found at the supermarket, as they are usually too t) or phyllo pastry sheet (I do NOT suggest egg roll wrappers such as those found at the supermarket, as they are usually too t)
- 1Cover the vermicelli with hot water and soak for about 15 minutes.
- 2Drain the noodles and then chop finely.
- 3Set aside.
- 4Heat the oil and add the onion and shrimp.
- 5Cook until the shrimp turns pink, stirring occasionally.
- 6Remove from heat, chop the shrimp and combine the shrimp/onion mixture with the herbs and spices.
- 7Put the mixtures in the wrapper and roll up like an eggroll.
- 8Or, if you prefer, fold the wrappers into triangle shapes.
- 9Brush the edges with some beaten egg yolk to seal.
- 10Fry in hot vegetable oil until golden.
- 11*Youcan freeze uncooked briwats until ready to use.
- 12Just be sure to let them thaw slightly to avoid splattering in the hot oil.
- 13Serve with a squeeze of lemon or harissa, if desired.
- 14This is a good"potluck" dish and is great for a quick and tasty lunch.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Shrimp Briwats (Like Egg Rolls)
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 227.6
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 179.1 mg
- Sodium 1996.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 20.3 g