1/3 Photos of Mozzarella En Carozza
This is a truly decadent sandwich! I saw this recipe being made on Food Network's Secrets of a Restaurant Chef and knew I had to make it as I love grilled cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- kosher salt
- 2 balls fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 8 slices white bread
- peanut oil, for frying (If you have a nut allergy, use canola or a neutrally flavored oil)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 tablespoons capers, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1Beat together the eggs, milk and Parmigiano-Reggiano in a medium bowl until they are a homogenous mixture.
- 2Season with salt, to taste, and reserve.
- 3Divide the mozzarella between 4 slices of the white bread.
- 4Put the remaining slices of bread on top of the mozzarella and press to close.
- 5Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- 6Add peanut oil to a large wide skillet until it is at least a 1/2-inch deep. Heat over medium-high heat to 350 degrees F.
- 7Dredge each sandwich in flour and shake off the excess.
- 8Dip each sandwich generously in the egg/and cheese mixture.
- 9Work in batches, do this process to each sandwich just before frying, it's not a good idea to flour and dip ahead of time.
- 10Secure each sandwich with toothpicks.
- 11Put the first sandwich in the hot oil.
- 12Remove the toothpicks to turn and insert the toothpicks in the second side.
- 13When each sandwich is nice and brown on both sides, remove it from the oil and blot it on paper towels.
- 14Put it on a sheet tray with a rack and keep warm in the preheated oven. Repeat this process with each of the sandwiches.
- 15Cut the sandwiches diagonally into quarters, arrange on a serving platter and serve with the sauce.
- 17In a small saute pan combine the olive oil, garlic and crushed red pepper. Cook over medium heat until the garlic is golden brown and very aromatic. Add the lemon juice and capers and shake to combine.
- 18Swirl in the butter and season with salt, to taste. Toss in the parsley and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mozzarella En Carozza
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 512.1
- Calories from Fat 237
- Total Fat 26.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 177.8 mg
- Sodium 704.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 15.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh mozzarella cheese