Boo L's Note:
A lovely starter or great finger food for a buffet. Makes a great meal served with garlic bread and salad. Definitely worth making for its own sake, but is also a great way to use up leftover risotto. This originally came from the Good Housekeeping Vegetarian book.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the risotto
- 1 red onion
- 75 g butter or 75 g olive oil
- 150 ml dry white wine
- 275 g arborio rice
- 1 liter vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- 25 g parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1Begin by making a basic white risotto. Peel and finely chop the onion.
- 2Melt the butter in a saucepan, and fry the onion for 5 minutes.
- 3Pour in the white wine and boil rapidly until most of the liquid is gone.
- 4Add the rice, and stir to coat with the onion and wine.
- 5One ladle at a time, add the stock, and simmer until almost completely absorbed (keep an eye on this - it'll stick to the bottom of your pan like nobody's business!).
- 6Continue until the rice has been cooking for ~20 minutes and it is soft and creamy but still has a little bit of bite to it.
- 7Season generously (if you can't find fresh Basil then at this point stir in a healthy portion of dried Basil or Mixed Herbs) and add the parmesan.
- 8Stir in the beaten egg (If you're making a big batch and planning to eat some, then obviously do this after you've taken out tonight's meal!)
- 9Allow to cool completely (ideally overnight - but half an hour in the fridge should do it. It's just easier to handle when completely cold).
- 10Spoon 1tbsp of the risotto into the palm of your hand.
- 11Place a basil leaf and a piece of mozzarella - about half an inch across - on top of the rice.
- 12Add another spoon of risotto and shape into a smooth ball.
- 13Roll the ball in breadcrumbs until evenly covered.
- 14Heat a pan of oil (use the smallest pan you have available to minimise wastage) until it is smoking hot and then fry the balls, a few at a time, for 3-5 minutes until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mozzarella-Filled Rice (Risotto) Balls
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 705.3
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.4 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 176.0 mg
- Sodium 666.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 21.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: