7 hrs 30 mins
Mr. and Mrs. Soma Adhikari were two of my most special teachers in junior school. They loved me a lot and wrote wonderful autographs in my autograph book. I miss them A LOT! This recipe was Mrs. Adhikari's specialty! I sincerely hope you enjoy it!
My Private Note
dahi va ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups white Urad Dal
- 1/2 cup water
- 400 g plain low-fat yogurt, beaten
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 4 fresh curry leaves, washed and torn between the palms of your hands
- 2 green chilies, washed
- oil, to deep fry
- 2 medium finely chopped onions, to garnish
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
- 2 tablespoons of sweet chutney, to garnish (meethi)
- 1Soak white lentils (urad dal) in plenty of water.
- 2Grind it (it should not be ground so fine and dry) in the mixer.
- 3Add a pinch of salt and keep it on the kitchen countertop for 5-6 hours.
- 4Dip your palm in water and take a small quantity (the size of your palm) of the ground dal on the palm of your hand.
- 5Make a hole in the center of the dal mixture on your palm.
- 6Heat oil in a wok on high flame.
- 7Once its hot, put the dal mixture on your palm into the hot oil, very gently.
- 8Fry it in hot oil on both sides until golden brown (on both sides).
- 9Drain on clean paper kitchen napkins.
- 10Keep aside.
- 11This is the"vada" which is now ready.
- 12Likewise, prepare all the vadas out of the dal mixture.
- 13Then dip the vadas in a bowl filled with cold water so that the excess oil comes out.
- 14After 2-3 minutes, take the vadas out of the cold water.
- 15Press lightly on the palm of your hand so that the water comes out of the vadas.
- 16Keep aside.
- 17Now, take the beaten yogurt in a bowl.
- 18Add sugar, red chilli powder and salt.
- 19Beat for 5 minutes.
- 20Then add 1/2 cup of water to make the consistency of the yogurt thin.
- 21Keep aside.
- 22Now heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan.
- 23Add mustard seeds.
- 24When they start crackling, add cumin seeds, green chillies and curry leaves.
- 25Allow the cumin seeds to splutter and the curry leaves to sizzle, stir-frying continuously.
- 26Once they stop doing so, remove the pan from heat.
- 27Add this seasoning to the bowl of beaten yogurt.
- 28Refrigerate the bowl of yogurt.
- 29Two hours prior to serving time, dip the vadas in the bowl of beaten yogurt.
- 30Gently turn them over so as to coat the vadas with the yogurt mixture on either side.
- 31Garnish the dahi vadas with finely chopped onions, meethi chutney and coriander leaves.
- 32Serve this as a side-dish with a spicy curry or vegetable for a complete meal!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mr. and Mrs. Adhikaris' Wonderful Indian Dahi Vadas from Orissa
Serving Size: 1 (1437 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 189.8
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 2.4 mg
- Sodium 32.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.2 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 12.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: