Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a spice stuffed eggplant recipe from Pakistan. You can find the small eggplants in a local Asian grocery store. This does take some work but the taste is worth it :)
- 6 baby eggplants
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 3 dried red chilies
- 4 curry leaves
- deep frying oil
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- Cut eggplant into quarters up to 1/2 inch to the stem. Leaving the stem and the area closest to it intact. The stem will hold the eggplant together during the cooking.
- Submerge the eggplants in 2 cups of cold water and 1 teaspoons of salt for 5 minutes and then drain thoroughly.
- Deep fry eggplants for 2-3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, set aside to cool.
- Using a coffee grinder, lightly crush 1 teaspoon of the fennel seeds, 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds, and 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds. Mix these with the coriander powder, chili powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, turmeric, and lemon juice. Set aside a quarter of this spice paste.
- Divide the remaining paste into the cuts in each eggplant.
- Puree together tomatoes, spice paste, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- In a large flat pan heat 1/4 cup of oil on medium high heat. Stir fry 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds, red chilies and curry leaves for 2 minute.
- Add the tomato puree. Continue to stir fry for 5 minutes.
- Gently add the eggplants to this sauce. Cover and cook on medium heat for 30 min or until eggplant is done.
- Do not stir during the cooking process or the eggplant will fall apart. If needed, jiggle the pan during cooking so as to move the eggplants and the sauce around.
- Serve with rice or Nann and enjoy!