Pronounced NACK-uh-tish IIIIIIEEEEE!!!! this is the best meat pie in Cajun Land
Make and share this Natchitoches Meat Pies recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground pork
- 3 cups onions (chopped fine)
- 1 cup green onion
- 1 cup bell pepper (chopped fine)
- 3 tablespoons parsley
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (1/4 t white pepper if you want to use instead of black.)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup melted shortening
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- filling: make a roux of flour & shortening.
- add all other ingredients, cover and cook on LOW heat for 30 minute.
- drain off fat.
- cool while making pastry.
- mix flour & baking powder; together add shortening, then eggs.
- add milk to make a stiff dough.
- roll very thin about 1/8" thick.
- use a saucer to cut circles of dough.
- fill 1/2 full.
- fold dough over and dampen edges w/ water
- crimp w/ fork
- Fry in deep fryer till golden brown.
- keep warm till served.