2 hrs 40 mins
2 hrs 20 mins
My Private Note
(8 inch ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine the flour, powdered milk, baking powder and salt and sift them into a deep bowl.
- 2Add the 2 tablespoons of lard bits and, with your fingertips, rub the flour and fat together until the mixture resembles flakes of coarse meal.
- 3Pour in the water and toss the ingredients together until the dough can be gathered into a ball.
- 4Drape the bowl with a kitchen towel and let the dough rest at room temperature for about 2 hours.
- 5After the resting period, cut the dough into three equal pieces.
- 6Then, on a lightly floured surface, roll each piece into a rough circle about 8 inches in diameter and 1/4 inch thick.
- 7With a small sharp knife, cut two 4- to 5-inch long parallel slits completely through the dough down the center of each round, spacing the slits about 1 inch apart. In a heavy 10-inch skillet, melt the remaining pound of lard over moderate heat until it is very hot but not smoking.
- 8The melted fat should be about 1 inch deep, add more lard if necessary.
- 9Fry the breads one at a time for about 2 minutes on each side, turning them once with tongs or a slotted spatula.
- 10The bread will puff slightly and become crisp and brown.
- 11Drain on paper towels and serve warm.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Navajo Fry Bread
Serving Size: 1 (925 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1856.0
- Calories from Fat 1500
- Total Fat 166.7 g
- Saturated Fat 66.5 g
- Cholesterol 172.9 mg
- Sodium 794.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 14.2 g