This recipe was posted in response to a recipe request. It is from the Cookin' New Orleans Style cookbook. The prep and cook times are estimates. They are cooked when brown on both sides.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Drop 1/2 cup butter and a pinch of salt into a pan containing 1 cup of hot water.
- 2Bring to a boil and add 1 cup of sifted flour.
- 3Stir and cook thoroughly until it comes together and pulls away from the pan.
- 4Turn off heat and add 4 eggs, beating after each egg you put in.
- 5Gently flatten the dough and cut into 1 1/2 inch squares (cutting very gently and quickly).
- 6Drop squares into 375 degree deep fat.
- 7As the beignets brown, they will turn over by themselves.
- 8Lay out some heavy brown paper and drain the beignets well on this paper as you remove them from the fat.
- 9Immediately sprinkle with a generous amount of powdered sugar and serve right away while still hot.
- 10Great with cafe au lait.
- 11Be sure to set a castor of powdered sugar on the table so more can be added if needed.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Orleans Beignets
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 390.7
- Calories from Fat 254
- Total Fat 28.2 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 272.5 mg
- Sodium 274.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 9.7 g