Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this Nicoise Fried Olives recipe from Food.com.
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1⁄4 cup ricotta cheese, room temperature
- 2 ounces chevre cheese, room temperature (fresh goat cheese)
- the leaves from 3 stems thyme
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup seltzer water (Perrier)
- 2 tablespoons seltzer water (Perrier)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 40 nicoise olives, pitted
- 40 large green olives, pitted
- fleur de sel
- lemon wedge
- Fill a cast iron skillet at least 1 inch deep with vegetable oil. Heat over medium heat, and bring to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Mix together the ricotta, chevre, thyme, and lemon zest. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Make the batter, by whisking together the flour, Perrier, baking powder, and salt.
- Dip the black olives in the batter, and fry in batches. They will be golden and puffed in 30 to 60 seconds.
- Meanwhile, fit a baggie with a pastry tip, and fill with the ricotta mixture. Pipe the green olives with just a bit of the stuffing. Then, dip them in the batter as with the black olives, and fry 60 to 90 seconds.
- Drain all the olives on paper towel, and sprinkle with fleur de sel or sea salt, and serve with lemon wedges for squeezing.