1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Posted by request. This recipe was copied exactly as printed in my "Netherlands Cookbook" (edited by Mary Norwak). Prep time includes rising times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 ounce fresh yeast
- 1 ounce caster sugar
- 1/2 cup lukewarm milk
- 1 lb plain flour (all-purpose)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice (spices for "mixed spice" are not specified in recipe - I use "apple pie" spice or allspice.)
- 4 ounces currants
- oil or fat, for deep frying
- caster sugar, for dredging
- 1Mix yeast with a teaspoon of sugar, then add the lukewarm milk.
- 2Blend in half the flour and a good pinch of salt.
- 3Cover mixture and put in a warm place to rise.
- 4Beat the egg and remaining sugar together.
- 5When dough has risen, mix into it the egg-sugar mixture, melted butter, the rest of the flour, and the spice and currants.
- 6Leave to rise again.
- 7Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- 8Divide dough into 18 equal-sized pieces.
- 9Roll each piece into a ball.
- 10Leave the balls in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- 11Heat the oil or fat to frying temperature.
- 12Fry a few doughnuts at a time, turning as necessary until they are pale golden-brown all over.
- 13Drain on soft kitchen paper (paper towels).
- 14Finally, roll them in castor sugar.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oliebollen (Dutch Doughnuts)
Serving Size: 1 (840 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 147.5
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 19.4 mg
- Sodium 41.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 3.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: