Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
Posted by request. This recipe was copied exactly as printed in my "Netherlands Cookbook" (edited by Mary Norwak). Prep time includes rising times.
- 1⁄2 ounce fresh yeast
- 1 ounce caster sugar
- 1⁄2 cup lukewarm milk
- 1 lb plain flour (all-purpose)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice (spices for "mixed spice" are not specified in recipe - I use "apple pie" spice or allspice.)
- 4 ounces currants
- oil or fat, for deep frying
- caster sugar, for dredging
- Mix yeast with a teaspoon of sugar, then add the lukewarm milk.
- Blend in half the flour and a good pinch of salt.
- Cover mixture and put in a warm place to rise.
- Beat the egg and remaining sugar together.
- When dough has risen, mix into it the egg-sugar mixture, melted butter, the rest of the flour, and the spice and currants.
- Leave to rise again.
- Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Divide dough into 18 equal-sized pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball.
- Leave the balls in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil or fat to frying temperature.
- Fry a few doughnuts at a time, turning as necessary until they are pale golden-brown all over.
- Drain on soft kitchen paper (paper towels).
- Finally, roll them in castor sugar.