Sue Lau's Note:
Crispy, spicy and full of citrus flavor. A Chinese restaurant favorite you can make in your own home.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Chicken
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- cooking oil
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 -10 dried hot red chili peppers
- 1 orange
- hot steamed rice
For the Sauce
- 1Mix together egg with 2 tbsp cornstarch and mix in chicken; coat chicken thoroughly and allow to stand 10-15 minutes.
- 2Mix together ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
- 3Cut orange in half, then quarter, then half again; remove peel without splitting it if you can, then try to press it flat and with your knife cut away as much white pith as you can; set aside.
- 4Heat about 4 cups of cooking oil (I prefer peanut oil) in wok to about 350F.
- 5Put some cornstarch in a small bowl and take chicken pieces individually and dust them with cornstarch, and shake off excess, and immediately fry chicken pieces in hot oil for 1 1/2-2 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy, then remove and drain.
- 6Drain oil from wok.
- 7Add 1 1/2-2 tbsp oil to wok, add orange peel, red peppers and garlic, cook till it becomes aromatic and peppers start to darken.
- 8Then add the sauce mixture to the wok, cooking until it becomes thickened and glaze-like.
- 9Add the chicken pieces to the wok, and cook, stirring, until the chicken is well-coated, and warmed through, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- 10Serve with hot steamed rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (200 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 231.4
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 147.3 mg
- Sodium 1143.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 26.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
brown bean sauce