Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Its fresh Mango time here in Florida! Here is a dish that combines fresh mangoes, chicken, ginger and scallions in a family pleasing dish!
- 1 cup pre-sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry or 1⁄4 cup rice wine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine or 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 8 scallions, cut into 1 inch diagonal pieces
- 2 inches of peeled ginger, cut into wafer thin slices
- 1 lb fresh mango, cut in 1/2 inch diagonal slices
- 2 cups peanut oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- Batter-Combine dry ingredients in large bowl, gradually add water and mix to a smooth batter, whisk for three minutes, cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Sauce-Combine all ingredients, mix well and set aside.
- Heat 2 cups oil in wok to 350 degrees F.
- Place chicken pieces in batter.
- Remove chicken piece individually from batter and drop into hot oil one at a time, fry until golden brown; drain on paper towels.
- Repeat with remaining chicken in batches.
- Set chicken aside.
- In clean wok heat remaining 2 tbs oil.
- Stir fry ginger pieces for two minutes.
- Stir sauce mixture and add to ginger stirring until sauce is boiling, reduce heat, and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add chicken, mangoes and scallions to simmering sauce and toss for 3 minutes.
- Serve Immediately, otherwise the batter will soften.
- I recommend that this dish be served over Jasmine Rice and garnished with a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds.
I cooked this last night for a dinner party and it was and ultimate success. It really much easier than i even expected. The batter came out perfect when fried, and i think tonight i just might use the leftover chicken and make it again for one!