i used to work at outback and the only batter they use is a normal egg wash 10 eggs per 1 gal of milk. you dust w/ flour then dip in egg wash and then flour again and fry.
- 20 eggs
- 2 gallons milk
- 4 vidalia onions (4 to 6 Inch Diameter) or 4 texas sweet onions (4 to 6 Inch Diameter)
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
Creamy Chili Sauce
- 1 pint mayonnaise
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup tomato chili sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cayenne
- Mix cornstarch, flour and seasonings until well blended.
- Add beer, mix well.
- Cut about 3/4" off top of onion and peel.
- At "Outback" they soak them cutside down in water to spread them out before "breading" them!
- Cut into onion 12-16 vertical wedges but do not cut through bottom root end.
- Remove about 1" of petals from center of onion.
- Dip onion in seasoned flour and remove excess by shaking.
- Separate petals to coat thoroughly with batter.
- Gently place in fryer basket and deep-fry at 375-400 for 1-1/2 minutes.
- Turn over and fry 1-1/2 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Place onion upright in shallow bowl and remove center core with circular cutter or apple corer.
- Serve hot with Creamy Chili Sauce.