Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Start this a day ahead or up to 8 hours in advance as the chicken must marinate in the brine for 24 hours! The chicken is semi-fyed then finished cooking in the oven, it's crispy on the outside and moist and tender on the inside, Since we prefer a thicker batter I have stated enough flour mixture for double-dipping, for a thinner crust you may coat only once in the flour mixture, you may skip the brining if desired, but the chicken will be better with it, also if want you may fry the chicken completely in a skillet and omit the oven baking, you will need to increase the oil ;-)
- 1 quart water
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons seasoning salt (can use more)
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder (can use 3 teaspoons)
- 3 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne (optional or to taste)
- 2 whole chickens, cut into pieces (leave skin on)
- oil (for frying)
- A day ahead or 8 hours in advance: whisk together all marinade ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add in the chicken pieces (make certain that the pieces are covered with marinade).
- Place in the refrigerator for 8-24 hours (turning 3-4 times in the 24 hours).
- When ready to cook: In a large bowl mix together flour, seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, paprika and cayenne (if using).
- Drain the chicken pieces and discard the marinade.
- Dredge each piece of chicken in seasoned flour mixture and place single layer on a large baking sheet or a rack; let stand for 10 minutes (must sit for 10 minutes!).
- After the 10 minutes you may coat one more time in the flour mixture for a thicker batter.
- Heat about 1/2-inch of oil (or a little more) with 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large heavy skillet.
- Fry the chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side or until just lightly browned.
- Place on an UNGREASED 10 x 15-inch baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.