24 hrs 30 mins
Start this a day ahead or up to 8 hours in advance as the chicken must marinate in the brine for 24 hours! The chicken is semi-fyed then finished cooking in the oven, it's crispy on the outside and moist and tender on the inside, Since we prefer a thicker batter I have stated enough flour mixture for double-dipping, for a thinner crust you may coat only once in the flour mixture, you may skip the brining if desired, but the chicken will be better with it, also if want you may fry the chicken completely in a skillet and omit the oven baking, you will need to increase the oil ;-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 quart water
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons seasoning salt (can use more)
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder (can use 3 teaspoons)
- 3 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (optional or to taste)
- 2 whole chickens, cut into pieces (leave skin on)
- oil (for frying)
- 1A day ahead or 8 hours in advance: whisk together all marinade ingredients in a large bowl.
- 2Add in the chicken pieces (make certain that the pieces are covered with marinade).
- 3Place in the refrigerator for 8-24 hours (turning 3-4 times in the 24 hours).
- 4When ready to cook: In a large bowl mix together flour, seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, paprika and cayenne (if using).
- 5Drain the chicken pieces and discard the marinade.
- 6Dredge each piece of chicken in seasoned flour mixture and place single layer on a large baking sheet or a rack; let stand for 10 minutes (must sit for 10 minutes!).
- 7After the 10 minutes you may coat one more time in the flour mixture for a thicker batter.
- 8Heat about 1/2-inch of oil (or a little more) with 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large heavy skillet.
- 9Fry the chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side or until just lightly browned.
- 10Place on an UNGREASED 10 x 15-inch baking sheet.
- 11Bake at 400 degrees for about 35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oven-Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (500 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 866.8
- Calories from Fat 481
- Total Fat 53.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 243.8 mg
- Sodium 2115.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 61.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: