Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My friend and I served this for Super Bowl Sunday last year with fresh oysters we gathered from Apalachicola Bay only an hour before and we about had a riot on our hands trying to keep them coming to the table fast enough for the guys to scarf down.
- 1 pint shucked oyster
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 3 -5 dashes Tabasco sauce
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 cup hellmann mayonnaise
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon prepared wasabi (Japanese green horseradish)
- Mix together the flour, cornmeal, spices, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and Tabasco.
- Dredge the oysters in the liquid, shake off excess, then dredge in flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees.
- Fry oysters, 10 at a time (to keep the oil from cooling too rapidly) until puffy and golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon, drain well on paper towels, and salt to taste.
- Meanwhile, while oysters are cooking, make the wasabi aioli.
- Mix together the Hellman's mayonnaise, 2 cloves crushed garlic and wasabi to taste.
- Arrange cooked oysters on a serving plate with a bowl of the aioli and stand by for raves.