Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 12 mins
Yummy appetizers that can be made ahead, frozen and then reheated (so they're great for guests). The mustard dip is a 'must' for these puffs.
- 1 1⁄2 cups baking mix (like bisquick)
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green onion, including tops
- 1⁄2 lb crabmeat
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid hot pepper sauce (Tabasco...I use a little more)
- oil (for frying)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Combine mustard dip ingredients, mix well and stick in the fridge.
- In a bowl, combine baking mix, cheese, and onions; shred crabmeat and add to cheese mixture.
- In another bowl, combine egg, water, Worcestershire and hot pepper sauce; stir this mixture into the crab mixture just until blended.
- Pour oil into a 4-quart pan, or electric frying pan (I use the electric fry pan to keep the oil at a constant temp), to a depth of about 1 1/2 inches; heat to 375°.
- Drop in a teaspoonful of the batter for each puff, cook about 4 at a time, turning as needed, until they're golden brown on all sides, about 1 1/2-2 minutes.
- Lift out with a slotted spoon and drain; keep warm until all are cooked then serve with mustard dip.
- If making ahead, cool the puffs, wrap and freeze; to reheat, place the frozen puffs on a baking sheet and bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes, or until heated through.
I tried this recipe using Pamela's gluten-free baking & pancake mix, goat mozzerella cheese and granulated dried green onions. Instead of frying, I used the Pancake Puff, cooking about 1.5 minutes per side. They turned out great! It also saved me lots of time using the Pancake Puff, besides the fact that I cut the menu down to serve three. My picky-eater 5-year-old son thought they were awesome.
These were very good. Will make these again. Thanks for posting.
I made a double batch of these for a Super Bowl party and they were gone in minutes. Really like the fact that they can be prepared and frozen ahead of time. Delicious!