I LOVE panko…you could fry just about anything in it (Stridex Pads….lawn furniture….) and I’m game for chowin’ down. It’s so much crispier than bread crumbs and, in my opinion, sticks better to whatever you’re frying. This recipe steals from another of mine (which I stole from Emeril, so it’s not really mine) called Blue (Bleu) Cheese Stuffed Olives. The variation here is that these are panko-coated and “shallow-deep” fried.
- ** OPTIONAL ** If you’re using the almonds, season them with Essence of Emeril and toast them in a single layer in 350F oven until lightly browned; about 6 minutes being careful not to burn. Cool slightly, then form a bit of blue cheese around an almond sliver and stuff into an olive. Repeat with remaining stuffing/olives.
- ** OTHERWISE ** Stuff about ½ teaspoon blue cheese into each olive.
- Place lightly beaten eggs in Bowl #1.
- Season flour with pepper and place in Bowl #2.
- Place the panko in Bowl #3.
- Dredge olives, one at a time, through Bowl #1, then Bowl #2, back to Bowl #1, and finally through Bowl #3. (Eggs, flour, eggs, panko) You may need a fork to rescue the slippery olives from the egg. Handle gently and let any excess material fall/drip off before moving to the next bowl.
- Place coated olives on plate, cover loosely with wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
- When ready to continue, heat oil in a deep fryer or stock pot to 375F degrees.
- Fry uncrowded olives in skillet for 2-3 minutes or until medium-brown, then drain on brown paper bag or paper towels.
- Inhale said olives before anyone gets home and prepare to look innocent.