1/4 Photos of Panko Fried Oysters for Two
After eating the "World's Best" Fried Oysters at The Old Post Office Restaurant at Edisto, SC, I wanted to duplicate them. This comes mighty close! I believe the double breading and Panko bread crumbs are the secret to these light and crispy oysters. If served as appetizers, they will disappear faster than free money so double or triple the recipe! The Hot Sauce is a modified version of Secret's Deep-Fried Oysters With Hot Sauce and the perfect complement to these Oysters.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces fresh select oysters
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon morton nature seasoning
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs (Japanese)
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1HOT SAUCE: Mix all ingredients together.
- 2To allow flavors to blend, refrigerate several hours.
- 3Hot Sauce will keep several days in the refrigerator.
- 4Be sure to cover it tightly.
- 5Line colander with two layers of paper towel.
- 6Rinse oysters, drain and put in colander, patting to dry.
- 7EGG DIP: In small bowl, add egg and milk; whisk to blend well.
- 8If using only egg whites, do not whisk enough to be dry/frothy.
- 9FLOUR COATING: Put all ingredients in small plastic bag and shake to mix well.
- 10PANKO COATING: in a small bowl, add ingredients and mix well.
- 11TO BREAD OYSTERS: Step 1: Dip 2 or 3 oysters in Egg Dip, letting any excess drain off.
- 12Step 2: Place them in Flour Coating, shaking to completely coat oysters.
- 13Remove from Flour Mixture.
- 14Step 3: Repeat step 1.
- 15Step 4: Place them in Panko Coating bowl.
- 16Roll them over and get them completely coated with bread crumbs.
- 17With tongs, gently remove them from breadcrumbs and place in a single layer on a baking tray lined with plastic wrap.
- 18Repeat Steps 1-4 until all oysters are breaded.
- 19Cover breaded oysters with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours or more.
- 20This breading can be done up to 8 hours ahead.
- 21TO FRY OYSTERS: Heat frying oil in deep pan to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 22With tongs, gently remove oysters from baking sheet and gently drop them into the hot oil.
- 23Fry the oysters in small (6-8 oysters each) batches to keep from lowering the temperature of the oil too much.
- 24Fry about 2 minutes or until golden brown on one side, turn and brown other side (about 1-2 minutes).
- 25Remove from oil and drain on layers of paper towels.
- 26NOTE: After cooking one batch of oysters, let the temperature of the oil return to about 375, before cooking the next batch.
- 27If the oil temperature is not hot enough before adding the oysters, they will taste greasy, rather than light.
- 28Serve immediately with Hot Sauce.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Panko Fried Oysters for Two
Serving Size: 1 (235 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 378.2
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 149.6 mg
- Sodium 561.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 21.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: