becki in Israel's Note:
This Mediterranean recipe is from one of those "special edition" recipe magazines that are often issued at holiday times. I made it for a family gathering at a vegetarian buffet type meal and it has been a hit ever since. Try to use up on same day, the fresh mint is a "must", it is great to eat even with the pasta and eggplant still warm...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak cubed eggplant in cold salted water (around 2 tbsp salt to ½ litre of water) for about ½ hour.
- 2Drain, rinse and dry off on a clean tea towel.
- 3Heat some oil in a chip pan and deep fry the cubes until golden, remove and drain on paper kitchen towels (or old newspaper.) Place in large bowl.
- 4Cook pasta as per instructions, drain ,rinse and add to eggplant.
- 5Mix (you can shake in an empty jar) o.oil, B.vinegar, garlic, mint, salt and white pepper to taste –(be careful with the salt as eggplant was soaked and cheese is generally salty too).
- 6Pour over the pasta mixture and mix carefully and thoroughly.
- 7Grate the cheese over the top and sprinkle the toasted cashew nuts on top (don’t dismiss the nuts-they add the punch to this dish!).
- 8Bon apetite.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta Salad With Feta Cheese, Eggplant and Cashew Nuts
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 634.9
- Calories from Fat 403
- Total Fat 44.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 37.0 mg
- Sodium 474.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 13.3 g