Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Mr. McGinty's original recipe, recently discovered by archaeologists under the Blarney Stone, translated from Gaelic for your dining pleasure. The original recipe called for ground goat and goat's milk. Outer Slobodnikanians can substitute ground polar bear, penguin egg and pomegranate juice.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 ounce unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- 10 fluid ounces milk
- 4 1⁄2 ounces plain yogurt
- 4 tablespoons mint jelly
- Blend the beef, onion, spices and herbs in a food processor for a few seconds until smooth.
- Alternatively, mince or beat well together.
- Add the beaten egg, season generously and beat until smooth.
- With wetted hands, divide into 16 balls.
- Grill or dry fry for 7-10 minutes, turning frequently until thoroughly cooked.
- Place the butter, flour and milk in a saucepan.
- Heat, whisking continuously, until the sauce boils; season to taste.
- Whisk in the mint jelly, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Cool the sauce by stirring, while standing the pan in a bowl of cold water.
- Whisk in the yogurt.
- Reheat the sauce gently and serve with the meatballs.