1/14 Photos of Perfect Southern Fried Chicken
2 hrs 35 mins
This is an outstanding recipe. When I found this I decided I didn't need to look for the perfect fried chicken recipe any more - I already had it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak chicken in water and salt at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- 2Mix buttermilk, eggs and Season All and dip chicken pieces in this mixture.
- 3Combine 1 cup flour, 2 tbsp corn meal, 2 tsp dried oregano, and 2 tsp Season All in a bag.
- 4Drop two pieces of dipped chicken in the bag at one time.
- 5Shake to coat.
- 6Place on wire rack to rest.
- 7(I place wax paper under the rack to catch any flour that falls off.) Heat a shallow layer of oil or shortening to 360 F in a jumbo chicken skillet (cast iron is great for this job) or an electric skillet.
- 8Place the chicken in the pan, trying not to crowd the pieces.
- 9Cover for the first five minutes.
- 10Check the chicken.
- 11When golden brown, turn.
- 12Cover for the next five minutes.
- 13Remove cover and cook uncovered, turning occasionally, as needed for a total of an additional 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- 14Watch carefully, and don't allow it to get too dark.
- 15If it's frying too fast, reduce heat slightly.
- 16NOTE- the key is to cover in the beginning to start the cooking process inside the chicken, but to uncover during the last part of the cooking time to get the outside nice and crispy and golden brown.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect Southern Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (395 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 683.6
- Calories from Fat 342
- Total Fat 38.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 267.9 mg
- Sodium 2014.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 51.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: