1 hr 20 mins
Phil Franco's Note:
Phil's version of Eggplant Parmesan
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs medium eggplants, cut crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick rounds (about 3)
- 3 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 5 lbs plum tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups plus 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 20 fresh basil leaves, torn in half
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 large eggs
- 3 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 ounces finely grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (2/3 cup)
- 1 lb chilled fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced (not unsalted)
- 2Toss eggplant with 2 teaspoons salt in a colander set over a bowl, then let drain 30 minutes. While eggplant drains, cut an X in bottom of each tomato with a sharp paring knife and blanch tomatoes together in a 5-quart pot of boiling water 1 minute. Transfer tomatoes with a slotted spoon to a cutting board and, when cool enough to handle, peel off skin, beginning from scored end, with paring knife.
- 3Coarsely chop tomatoes, then coarsely purée in batches in a blender. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a 5-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then add garlic and sauté, stirring, until golden, about 30 seconds. Add tomato purée, basil, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and red pepper flakes and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 25 to 30 minutes.
- 4Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F
- 5Stir together flour, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a shallow bowl. Lightly beat eggs in a second shallow bowl, then stir together the bread crumbs and 1/3 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano in a third shallow bowl.
- 6Working with 1 slice at a time, dredge eggplant in flour, shaking off excess, then dip in egg, letting excess drip off, and dredge in the bread crumbs until evenly coated. Transfer eggplant to sheets of wax paper, arranging slices in 1 layer.
- 7Heat remaining 1 1/2 cups oil in a deep 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then fry eggplant 4 slices at a time, turning over once, until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes per batch. Transfer with tongs to paper towels to drain.
- 8Spread 1 cup tomato sauce in bottom of a rectangular 3 1/2-quart (13- by 11- by 2-inch) baking dish. Arrange about one third of eggplant slices in 1 layer over sauce, overlapping slightly if necessary. Cover eggplant with about one third of remaining sauce (about 11/4 cups) and one third of mozzarella. Continue layering with remaining eggplant, sauce, and mozzarella. Sprinkle top with remaining 1/3 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- 9Bake, uncovered, until cheese is melted and golden and sauce is bubbling, 35 to 40 minutes. Makes 8 main-course servings.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Phil's Eggplant (Aubergine) Parmesan
Serving Size: 1 (629 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 934.6
- Calories from Fat 555
- Total Fat 61.7 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 182.1 mg
- Sodium 1829.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.9 g
- Sugars 14.6 g
- Protein 31.1 g