Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Serving suggestions: Especially good served with fried catfish, trout, shrimp, oysters, chicken or chicken-fried steak.
- Mix all dry ingredients; beat milk and egg together and combine with dry ingredients; batter should hold its shape when picked up in spoon.
- If it is too soft, add more cornmeal.
- Drop by molded Tablespoon into 350"F fat and cook about 1 1/2 minutes; turn and cook on second side 1 minute.
- Allow oil to heat a few seconds after removing a batch.
- Delicious freshly cooked and hot; however, leftover hush puppies freeze well.
- When ready to serve frozen hush puppies, place on oven rack in preheated 250"F until very hot and crisp.
- Hints on frying: Using a small diameter heavy saucepan allows using a minimum oil; a 5 or 6 inch pan with oil 1 1/2 inches deep and heated to 350 F will cook three hush puppies in about 2 1/2 minutes.
- When batter consistency is correct and oil is at 350"F, hush puppies will become firm, round shapes almost as soon as they enter the hot oil.
- If they are cooked in oil that is too hot, they will not cook in the center.
The touch of sugar in this recipe makes it our family favorite at all fish fries. Easy to make, easy to cook, easy to eat!