Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Serving suggestions: Especially good served with fried catfish, trout, shrimp, oysters, chicken or chicken-fried steak.
- Mix all dry ingredients; beat milk and egg together and combine with dry ingredients; batter should hold its shape when picked up in spoon.
- If it is too soft, add more cornmeal.
- Drop by molded Tablespoon into 350"F fat and cook about 1 1/2 minutes; turn and cook on second side 1 minute.
- Allow oil to heat a few seconds after removing a batch.
- Delicious freshly cooked and hot; however, leftover hush puppies freeze well.
- When ready to serve frozen hush puppies, place on oven rack in preheated 250"F until very hot and crisp.
- Hints on frying: Using a small diameter heavy saucepan allows using a minimum oil; a 5 or 6 inch pan with oil 1 1/2 inches deep and heated to 350 F will cook three hush puppies in about 2 1/2 minutes.
- When batter consistency is correct and oil is at 350"F, hush puppies will become firm, round shapes almost as soon as they enter the hot oil.
- If they are cooked in oil that is too hot, they will not cook in the center.