Christmas Carol's Note:
Serving suggestions: Especially good served with fried catfish, trout, shrimp, oysters, chicken or chicken-fried steak.
My Private Note
hush pu ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix all dry ingredients; beat milk and egg together and combine with dry ingredients; batter should hold its shape when picked up in spoon.
- 2If it is too soft, add more cornmeal.
- 3Drop by molded Tablespoon into 350"F fat and cook about 1 1/2 minutes; turn and cook on second side 1 minute.
- 4Allow oil to heat a few seconds after removing a batch.
- 5Delicious freshly cooked and hot; however, leftover hush puppies freeze well.
- 6When ready to serve frozen hush puppies, place on oven rack in preheated 250"F until very hot and crisp.
- 7Hints on frying: Using a small diameter heavy saucepan allows using a minimum oil; a 5 or 6 inch pan with oil 1 1/2 inches deep and heated to 350 F will cook three hush puppies in about 2 1/2 minutes.
- 8When batter consistency is correct and oil is at 350"F, hush puppies will become firm, round shapes almost as soon as they enter the hot oil.
- 9If they are cooked in oil that is too hot, they will not cook in the center.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Piney Woods Hush Puppies
Serving Size: 1 (103 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 368.6
- Calories from Fat 260
- Total Fat 28.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 19.2 mg
- Sodium 447.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 4.0 g