24 hrs 20 mins
Montana Heart Song's Note:
This is a Western steak oil fry. Absolutely delicious. And yes, pitchforks are used, small ones and large ones. It was started on dude ranches and then oudoor parties. I have made the recipe for 6.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 rib eye steaks (Note, You can use rib eye or sirloin but they are smaller in size and will cook faster) or 6 porterhouse steaks (Note, You can use rib eye or sirloin but they are smaller in size and will cook faster)
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup strong black coffee
- 6 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 5 gallons vegetable oil
- 1Marinate the steaks in large ziplock bags, overnight if possible.
- 2Note: Unfortunately the ingredient reader on this program will not let me put rib steak, it insists on putting rib eye.
- 3Lay out the steaks on a tray.
- 4Throw away the marinade.
- 5Heat the oil in a tall stockpot over a propane burner. Does not take a long time.
- 6Pierce the steak at one end and loop the steak twice on the pitchfork. Push the steak back on the fork.
- 7Pierce and loop another one. Put 3 steaks on one fork.
- 8Carefully lower the steaks into the hot oil. Fry 8 to 10 minutes.
- 9Serve with baked beans and baked potatoes with butter and sour cream.
- 10Note: Keep that pot and burner as low to the ground as you can. DO NOT LET GO OF THAT PITCHFORK, IT MIGHT TIP OVER THE HOT GREASE.
- 11You can use the stock pot or dutch oven over hot coals also, but use a long fork instead of a pitchfork and cook 1 steak at a time.
- 12Note: You can use buffalo steak, any steak with a bone is very tender close to the bone. You may also use pork. Chicken or fish is very difficult to pierce and stay on a fork.
- 13Do not let children near the cooking!
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pitchfork Fondue (Steak Fry)
Serving Size: 1 (47067 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 17.4
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3490.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 0.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rib eye steaks