1 hr 20 mins
My brother had been going on and on about this chicken. I don't eat at Popeye's, but finally found a recipe on the net, and boy, was he right about this chicken! It's delicious, although with all those mixes and the frying it can't be too healthy for you. The dipping takes a little work, but I think it's worth it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons seasoning salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (5/8 ounce) package Italian salad dressing mix, powder
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) package onion soup mix
- 1 (1/2 ounce) package spaghetti sauce mix
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups corn flakes, crushed
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 4 lbs chicken, cut up
- 1Combine first 9 ingredients in large bowl.
- 2Put the cornflakes into another bowl.
- 3Put eggs and water in a 3rd bowl.
- 4Put enough corn oil into a heavy roomy skillet to fill it 1 inch deep.
- 5Get it HOT!
- 6Grease a 9x12x2-inch baking pan.
- 7Set it aside.
- 8Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 9Dip the chicken pieces 1 piece at a time as follows: Into dry coating mix.
- 10Into egg and water mix.
- 11Into corn flakes.
- 12Briskly but briefly back into dry mix.
- 13Drop into hot oil, skin-side-down and brown 3 to 4 minutes on medium high.
- 14Turn and brown other side of each piece.
- 15Don't crowd pieces during frying.
- 16Place in the prepared pan in a single layer, skin-side-up.
- 17Seal in foil, on 3 sides only, leaving 1 side loose for steam to escape.
- 18Bake at 350~ for 35-40 minutes removing foil then to test tenderness of the chicken.
- 19Allow to bake uncovered 5 minutes longer to crisp the coating.
- 20Leftovers refrigerate well up to 4 days.
- 21Do not freeze these leftovers.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Popeyes Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (332 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 624.3
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 156.6 mg
- Sodium 1525.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 33.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Italian salad dressing mix
spaghetti sauce mix