My recipe clone of the famous fried chicken from the Popeye's fast food restaurant chain.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 whole chicken wings
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons louisiana hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons zatarain creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Accent seasoning, flavor enhancer (monosodium glutamate)
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium chicken bouillon cube (or reduced sodium)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups plain corn flakes (crushed)
- 1 1/2-2 cups vegetable oil
- 1Wash and clean chicken.
- 2In a large bowl combine 2 cups buttermilk, sea salt and hot sauce. Stir well. Add chicken pieces to bowl, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour turning wings once in buttermilk. In a separate bowl combine egg, 1/2 cup buttermilk,and flour.
- 3Remove chicken from bowl and dip in batter.
- 4Season chicken with Zatarain, turmeric, white pepper, chicken bouillon and Accent.
- 5Pour cornflakes in separate bowl and dip chicken pieces in cornflakes,making sure to coat them evenly.
- 6In a medium cast iron skillet heat vegetable oil to 350°F Place chicken pieces in hot oil. Fry for about 15- 20 minutes covered, turning once.
- 7Remove chicken from pan, drain on paper towel and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Popeye's Fried Chicken - Copycat
Serving Size: 1 (887 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4041.4
- Calories from Fat 3329
- Total Fat 369.8 g
- Saturated Fat 56.3 g
- Cholesterol 386.9 mg
- Sodium 3070.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 117.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 34.7 g
- Protein 72.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium chicken bouillon cubes