Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
My recipe clone of the famous fried chicken from the Popeye's fast food restaurant chain.
Make and share this Popeye's Fried Chicken - Copycat recipe from Food.com.
- 4 whole chicken wings
- 2 1⁄2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons louisiana hot sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons zatarain creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Accent seasoning, flavor enhancer (monosodium glutamate)
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium chicken bouillon cube (or reduced sodium)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain corn flakes (crushed)
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups vegetable oil
- Wash and clean chicken.
- In a large bowl combine 2 cups buttermilk, sea salt and hot sauce. Stir well. Add chicken pieces to bowl, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour turning wings once in buttermilk. In a separate bowl combine egg, 1/2 cup buttermilk,and flour.
- Remove chicken from bowl and dip in batter.
- Season chicken with Zatarain, turmeric, white pepper, chicken bouillon and Accent.
- Pour cornflakes in separate bowl and dip chicken pieces in cornflakes,making sure to coat them evenly.
- In a medium cast iron skillet heat vegetable oil to 350°F Place chicken pieces in hot oil. Fry for about 15- 20 minutes covered, turning once.
- Remove chicken from pan, drain on paper towel and serve.