These crisp little balls have a creamy filling of potatoes, cheeses, fresh parsley, shallots. Along with a slightly spicy chipotle dipping sauce. A wonderful way to use left over mashed potatoes. Or an excuse to make extra mashed potatoes.
- 1 lb cool leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 small shallot, minced very fine equaling 1 tablespoon
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 dash dried chipotle chile
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄8 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup flour, seasoned with
- salt, and
- pepper, and
- dried chipotle powder
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Crisco cooking oil, for frying to fill pan by 3 inches
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, diced (remove seeds if you want less heat)
- 1⁄8 cup ketchup
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, mince fine
- Combine the first 9 ingredients and blend thoroughly.
- Form into 20 golf size croquettes.
- Place seasoned flour in one bowl.
- Beat eggs with milk and place second bowl.
- Place bread crumbs in third bowl.
- Dip each croquette in the flour then egg and then roll in the crumbs.
- Fry in deep fat until golden brown.
- While frying stir together dipping sauce ingredients and place in serving bowl.
- Drain on paper towels and serve while very hot with chipotle sauce.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.