Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is from New Zealand Wasabi Limited.
Make and share this Prawn Fingers With Wasabi Soy Dip recipe from Food.com.
- 2 spring onions, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 small fresh red chile, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste or 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 3 sheets phyllo pastry
- 12 large prawns, shelled and de-veined
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
Wasabi Soy Dip
- 1 tablespoon mild wasabi or 1 tablespoon hot wasabi
- 1 small red chile, seeded and sliced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
- Wasabi Soy Dip: Place all the ingredients in a small pan, heat gently to dissolve the sugar.
- Set aside to cool.
- Place the spring onions, coriander (cilantro), garlic, ginger, chili, tamarind paste or lemon juice and tomato purée in a blender and blend to a smooth paste.
- Cut each sheet of pastry lengthwise into 4 strips 8 × 3 inches.
- Take one strip and brush with a little of the oil.
- Spread 1/2 teaspoon of the paste along one narrow end.
- Place a prawn over the top, with only the tail extending beyond the edge of the pastry.
- Roll up to enclose the prawn, twisting the ends together to seal.
- Cover with a clean tea towel and repeat to make 12 fingers.
- Heat 4 inches of vegetable oil in a heavy-based pan to a temperature of 350ºF or until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds.
- Carefully slip in the prawn fingers and cook for 2 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden.
- Drain on absorbent paper, and serve at once with the Wasabi Soy Dip.