Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from New Zealand Wasabi Limited.
Make and share this Prawn Fingers With Wasabi Soy Dip recipe from Food.com.
- 2 spring onions, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 small fresh red chile, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste or 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 3 sheets phyllo pastry
- 12 large prawns, shelled and de-veined
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
Wasabi Soy Dip
- 1 tablespoon mild wasabi or 1 tablespoon hot wasabi
- 1 small red chile, seeded and sliced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
- Wasabi Soy Dip: Place all the ingredients in a small pan, heat gently to dissolve the sugar.
- Set aside to cool.
- Place the spring onions, coriander (cilantro), garlic, ginger, chili, tamarind paste or lemon juice and tomato purée in a blender and blend to a smooth paste.
- Cut each sheet of pastry lengthwise into 4 strips 8 × 3 inches.
- Take one strip and brush with a little of the oil.
- Spread 1/2 teaspoon of the paste along one narrow end.
- Place a prawn over the top, with only the tail extending beyond the edge of the pastry.
- Roll up to enclose the prawn, twisting the ends together to seal.
- Cover with a clean tea towel and repeat to make 12 fingers.
- Heat 4 inches of vegetable oil in a heavy-based pan to a temperature of 350ºF or until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds.
- Carefully slip in the prawn fingers and cook for 2 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden.
- Drain on absorbent paper, and serve at once with the Wasabi Soy Dip.