A tasty meat filled pastry.
Make and share this Puerto Rican Fried Meat Pies: Empanadas recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 lb browned ground beef or 1 lb cooked shredded chicken
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄8 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄8 cup sliced green olives
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package sazon goya with coriander and annatto
- 1 cup vegetable oil (for frying)
- DOUGH: combine all the dry ingredients in electric mixer, add all the wet ingredients. Mix for about 3 minutes until well combined. Dough will form.
- Take it out and knead for about 3 minutes, let sit wrapped in plastic-wrap for another 15 minutes.
- Divide into 12 pieces, then roll into 4 inch circles.
- FILLING: Brown ground beef (drain excess grease), or sauté shredded chicken in 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add all the ingredients and cook for an additional 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Let cool.
- COOKING: Preheat the oil in a frying pan at about a medium temperature. Place about 2 tablespoons of the filling in the dough and seal the edges with a fork.
- Fry for about 5 minutes on each side, then place on dish lined with paper-towels.
I added recaito amd sofrito......makes it yummier!!! My puerto rican husband loves them!!! I used the frozen goya disc too!!!
thanks , this is awesome! i am 13 and tried this recipe and impressed my whole family! thanks again! :)
This is a very common dish referred to by puerto ricans as pastellios. I made my own filling, but I used the dough recipe. I was quick and easy. I downsized the recipe and the only thing I changed, is added more salt. Its a very authentic recipe. Thanks for the recipe.