1/1 Photo of Puerto Rican Fried Meat Pies: Empanadas
Chef Smooth's Note:
A tasty meat filled pastry.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 lb browned ground beef or 1 lb cooked shredded chicken
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/8 cup sliced green olives
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package sazon goya with coriander and annatto
- 1 cup vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1DOUGH: combine all the dry ingredients in electric mixer, add all the wet ingredients. Mix for about 3 minutes until well combined. Dough will form.
- 2Take it out and knead for about 3 minutes, let sit wrapped in plastic-wrap for another 15 minutes.
- 3Divide into 12 pieces, then roll into 4 inch circles.
- 4FILLING: Brown ground beef (drain excess grease), or sauté shredded chicken in 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add all the ingredients and cook for an additional 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Let cool.
- 5COOKING: Preheat the oil in a frying pan at about a medium temperature. Place about 2 tablespoons of the filling in the dough and seal the edges with a fork.
- 6Fry for about 5 minutes on each side, then place on dish lined with paper-towels.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Puerto Rican Fried Meat Pies: Empanadas
Serving Size: 1 (125 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 402.9
- Calories from Fat 260
- Total Fat 28.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 25.7 mg
- Sodium 320.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 10.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt and pepper
sazon goya with coriander and annatto