I actually saw these made on Bobby Flay's "Throwdown" on the Food Network and couldn't resist reposting this for future use. They're simple to make and are a great way to mix things up on Taco Night!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- 2When the dough is consistent begin rolling dough balls about the size of a ping pong ball.
- 3Using a tortilla press that is lined in a thick plastic, press out the dough. You use the plastic (it can be a ziploc bag that has been cut) so that the dough does not stick to the tortilla press.
- 4Meanwhile have a deep pot filled with cooking oil approximately 2 inches high and heated to 250 degrees.
- 5Drop the flat tortilla in the hot oil and using a metal spatula repeatedly douse with the oil.
- 6You will see that it will begin to puff up.
- 7Flip it over and using the spatula make an indention in the middle of the tortilla to forma taco shape.
- 8Remove from oil and allow to drain.
- 9Fill with ground meat, shredded chicken, guacamole, bean and cheese or your favorite filling. Top with shredded lettuce and diced tomato.
- 10Caution: Be very careful when making these. Make sure there is proper ventilation and do not allow the oil to get too hot. Also, if you can't get your hands on a tortilla press then use a clean counter. You will still need the plastic so that the dough does not stick to the counter. Place your dough ball on the plastic and cover with more plastic and then using something heavy to press it out.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Puffy Taco Shells
Serving Size: 1 (884 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 89.1
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 251.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 2.2 g