2 hrs 20 mins
There's only one right way to fry chicken and that's in a skillet, one with a tight-fitting lid. Forget soaking chicken pieces first in milk, buttermilk, lemon juice or vinegar and forget dipping chicken in beaten egg and then coating it with bread, cracker or cereal crumbs. many delicious chicken dishes are made with lots of other seasonings and coatings, but they should not be mistaken for "REAL" FRIED CHICKEN
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a shallow bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper.
- 2In a large heavy skillet, combine equal portions of butter and shortening. when butter and shortening are melted, fat should be 1/4-inch deep. Heat until a drop of water sizzles when it is flipped into the hot fat.
- 3Dredge chicken pieces with seasoned flour and place in skillet; take care not to crowd the pieces.
- 4Brown until chicken is the color of honey oak on one side; then turn and brown the other side. Brown meaty pieces first. Allow 20 to 30 minutes to brown chicken on both sides.
- 5Cover. Cook on low 30 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- 6For crispy chicken, remove cover and increase heat last 10 minutes of cooking time; turn chicken as necessary to prevent over-browning.
- 7Note: Chicken may be held an additional 15-20 minutes on a rack in a 200 F. oven before serving.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Real Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (226 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 716.0
- Calories from Fat 313
- Total Fat 34.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 170.1 mg
- Sodium 4811.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 48.6 g