Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Just like your Cajun mama used to make
Make and share this Really Crispy Spicy Cajun Fried Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 44.37 ml Tony Chachere's salt-free cajun spice
- 4.92 ml coarse grind black pepper
- 1 whole fryer chicken, cut up backbone removed (2-3 lbs.)
- Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- ground black pepper
- vegetable oil
- Mix first 3 ingredients in a paper bag.
- Season Chicken parts with Seasoning Salt and Pepper Place chicken one by one in bag and shake to cover chicken piece completely Place coated chicken on a rack above a baking pan to catch excess flour This is important!
- Leave chicken on the counter for 1 hour, sprinkling left over flour to coat as chicken"sweats" thru coating.
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet to fit chicken and to a depth of 1/2 inch Place chicken pieces in oil skin side down- do not cover!
- 8 Minutes per side (or there abouts) until golden.
- Drain on brown paper bags Great served hot, with cream gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits- or cold for a picnic.
Excellent spicy chicken! I cooked it in a deep fryer, which only took a few minutes per piece.
I made this on 10/6/11 as part of mine and my SO's dinner.Instead of using the frying chickens, boneless skinless chicken breast were used. Another change that was made to the recipe was to the Cajun seasoning, I used Cajun Seasoning.Other than those two changes the recipe was made as it was written, even right down to using a cast iron skillet. :) I don't know if it was using the home-made Cajun Seasoning or what,but it wasn't nearly as spicy as I was expecting it to be.But, on the plus side, the chicken was very moist and flavorful just not spicy. Thanks for posting and, " Keep Smiling :) "
Made a BIG batch for a gathering. Son of a gun we're gonna have big fun on the bayou... I honestly believe the writer of that song wrote it just for me.