1/1 Photo of Rice Murukku
3 hrs 30 mins
This is a tasty South Indian snack which needs good practice of handwork to make. Once made, it makes a wonderful tea time snack. It is usually made during festivals and weddings.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak the rice in water for 2 hours.
- 2Fry the dal in a pan without adding oil till brownish in colour.
- 3Make a fine powder out of it.
- 4Grind the rice to a fine paste without adding much water.
- 5(The rice paste should be thick).
- 6In a bowl, add the rice paste, 3 1/2 tsps.
- 7of Urad dal powder, salt and butter and knead well with your hand.
- 8In a clean muslin cloth, keep the mixed rice paste and cover well so that it does not dry up.
- 9Take a lemon sized ball and roll it into a circle by twisting the rice paste simultaneously in the cloth.
- 10About 2-3 concentric circles can be made in a single murukku.
- 11Make about 10-12 at a time before deep frying.
- 12Heat the oil well in a pan.
- 13Add about 5 murukkus at a time and deep fry.
- 14The fried murukkus should be golden in colour.
- 15Store in airtight containers for about a month.
- 16The size of a murukku can go up to 7 concentric circles about 20cm in diameter.
Browse Our Top Asian Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Asian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rice Murukku
Serving Size: 1 (1652 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 78.3
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 9.1 mg
- Sodium 31.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 1.6 g