Oh, the memories of this recipe! This is a favourite Mennonite Tradition for a summer meal. This is my mom's favourite recipe for Roll Kuchen. I remember fondly the time my parent's spent making this and how they doubled and tripled the recipe for family gatherings. To non-Mennonites the idea of having these with watermelon strikes them as very strange--Watermelon and doughnuts??!!?? But for me and my family it is a food that we enjoy and look forward to having! Cook time is per batch of 4-6 roll kuchen.
- Beat eggs well.
- Put into a 1 cup measuring cup and fill with milk. (This may end up being more or less than the 3/4 cup listed in the ingredients.)
- Add to remaining ingredients and mix to combine.
- Roll out very thin and cut into strips.
- Cut again so that pieces are approximately 1 inch long by 3 inches wide.
- Cut a slit in the middle and pull one end through to knot it.
- Fry four to six at a time, in deep hot fat until golden brown.
- Serve with Watermelon!
- A Mennonite summer tradition!