Although I grew up eating crispy Roll Kuchen, I have been making this version and it has become my new favourite. The finished product is very soft and tastes delicious dipped in corn syrup. (Something my mom never let us do while growing up!!) If you prefer a crispy Roll Kuchen check out my other recipe which I have also posted. This recipe will feed my family twice. I will always freeze half and then I am ready for a quick meal or snack.
- Mix together to form a dough.
- (This dough works best if you chill it for an hour or so).
- Roll out on floured surface and cut into strips with a knife or pizza cutter.
- Cut each strip into rectangles.
- Cut a small slit in each rectangle and pull one end through to form a twisted shape.
- Fry in hot lard, in small batches (5 or 6 at a time), until golden on each side.
- It is hot enough when the dough rises immediately to the surface.
- Serve with watermelon.
- These freeze well.