Prep 4 hrs
Cook 10 mins
Pretty much everyone loves fried chicken, in this recipe from Tuscany the chicken is marinated in a rosemary, sage and garlic mixture before it gets fried. To learn how to get an extra-crispy and flaky crust look at the video I posted at the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMWdyD9Plr4
- Skin the chicken (optional) and cut it into small serving pieces using a heavy cleaver. Disjoint wings, thighs and drumsticks. Trim wing tips. Halve thighs and drumsticks. Seperate breasts from back and split breasts in half. Cut each half into 4-5 pieces (depending on size). Place all chicken pieces in a large bowl.
- Prepare the marinade. Mince the rosemary, sage and garlic and add to the chicken pieces. Add the eggs, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Mix well, rubbing the chicken with the marinade. Let stand in the refridgerator for 4-6 hours.
- Place flour on a tray. Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour. When the chicken pieces are completely coated with flour, squeeze the chicken pieces so as to press the flour up against them. You will have a lot of flour left over.
- Heat the peanut oil in a deep fryer. The oil will have reached the right temperature when you place a small piece of bread in the oil and it sizzles immediately upon contact. Or when a thermometer reads 350°F.
- Fry the chicken pieces in two batches. Do not overcrowd the fryer. In about 10 minutes the chicken pieces should be ready. Do not overcook the chicken or it will lose its moistness.
- Take the chicken out of the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt.
- Serve the chicken with lemon wedges.
I can't believe this hasn't been prepared and reviewed yet, but I'm happy to be the first! OUTSTANDING! I love fried chicken and I felt this was some of the best fried chicken I've ever eaten -- I'm not kidding. Truly a gourmet recipe. I watched your youTube video and it was helpful and enjoyable.