This is an age old recipe. I usually make these for Christmas time but they can be eaten any time of the year.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and add rind of 2 lemons.
- Cook until browned.
- Place aniseeds in a small sieve and fry in the same oil.
- Set aside and drain.
- Allow oil to cool.
- Whisk eggs until creamy and fluffy.
- Slowly add sugar, lemon rind and aniseeds, liquor.
- Take four tablespoons of the oil used to fry lemon rind and aniseeds and add to mixture.
- Add flour and baking powder bit by bit, mixing well each time to make a dough.
- Knead dough on a floured surface and make donut shapes by taking a large spoonful of dough and rolling it between hands and joining well to make donut shape.
- Heat the oil again and fry doughnuts until browned.
- Drain and roll in sugar.
- Allow to cool before storing in an airtight container.