1 hr 45 mins
Posted in answer to a request. It seems a little cumbersome, but believe me its worth all the effort! The filling in this recipe is the most basic, and the commonest one of them all, but you can use your imagination and make your own spiced up fillings....minced chicken, mutton, lamb, peas, mushrooms....whatever :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1---The Dough---.
- 2Mix and rub oil into the flour till you can make firm balls with your hands.
- 3Add a bit more oil, if necessary.
- 4Add water, a little at a time, to make a very stiff dough.
- 5It should be so stiff that you should not require any extra flour for dusting while rolling.
- 6Knead for 5-7 minutes, roll into a large ball.
- 7Cover with a damp cloth and set aside while you make your filling.
- 8---The Filling---.
- 9Heat oil.
- 10Add cumin seeds, ginger and green chilies.
- 11Give it 4-5 twirls, add potatoes and everything else.
- 12Sauté for two minutes.
- 14---The Paste---.
- 15In a cup, make a thick paste with 1 tblsp of flour and 1 tblsp of water.
- 16This is the 'glue' with which you will seal the samosas.
- 17When all the above is organized, make walnut-size balls with the dough and roll each out to make circles of about 6" in diameter.
- 18With a sharp knife, halve each circle to make 'D' shapes.
- 19Put a little paste on half the length of the cut side and overlap it with the other half to form a cone.
- 20Lightly press the glued edges to seal.
- 21Fill the cone 2/3rds with the mixture.
- 22Again, apply paste on the insides of the open edges at the top.
- 23Press to seal the glued edges.
- 25Your triangular shaped samosa is ready to be fried!
- 26Make all the samosas--remember to cover them with a well-squeezed damp cloth.
- 27When all are done, heat oil, 3 inches deep, in a wok/fry pan.
- 28Slide each samosa in--do it in batches of 6 or 8.
- 29Once you have a batch in the oil, reduce heat and fry on medium-low till they are golden brown and nice and crisp.
- 30Serve hot with ketchup or coriander/mint chutney.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Samosas...indian Savoury Pies
Serving Size: 1 (1236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 70.2
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 1.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: