3 hrs 20 mins
These are traditionally served in my Italian family tradition on Christmas and New Years eves. They make an excellent appetizer and go great with beer at parties too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix flour, yeast, salt, and water.
- 2Let rest to rise.
- 3This is a yeast dough so flour is aproximate as temperature and humidity effect yeast doughs.
- 4The dough should be very soft with just enough flour so that it is not sticky.
- 5You don't want it to be as firm as bread dough.
- 6After dough rests for about 2 hours, divide dough into 16 pieces.
- 7Place an anchovy or alternate filling in your palm.
- 8Fold dough over and make a ball.
- 9In heavy pot or deep frier, heat oil to about 350ºF.
- 10Add Zeppole to hot oil and cook until golden brown.
- 11If the zeppole don't turn themselves you will need to do it so that they cook evenly and are not raw in the center.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savory Zeppole
Serving Size: 1 (218 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1550.0
- Calories from Fat 1480
- Total Fat 164.5 g
- Saturated Fat 21.3 g
- Cholesterol 6.8 mg
- Sodium 314.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 5.0 g