Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
(Simular to obloh-obloh.) This vegetarian dish is full of flavour and does not need an additional side dish. But if you are a meat buff, then deep-fried chicken should make your diner complete. During colonial-Dutch reign, the Indonesian kitchen was influenced by Chinese merchant settlers who brought the black soy bean to the Indonesia. That was Fusion cooking in the bud. I don't know of many dishes with taocho-beans, accept from Java-island. It is helpful to know that the taste of green chilies and pete beans is key to this dish. Pronounciation: patai beans and timpai The taucho beans are salty enough, no need to add extra salt!
- 125 g tofu, cut into bite-sized pieces (bean curd)
- 125 g tempeh, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 medium onions, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cm gingerroot, grated (3/4, inch)
- 3 cm galangal, grated (laos root, 1 1/4, inch)
- 4 asian bay leaves (salam leaves)
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
- 5 -7 green chilies, cut into 1 1/2, -inch pieces
- 0.5 (400 ml) can coconut cream
- 500 g green beans
- 50 g frozen peteh beans
- 2 -3 tablespoons canned taucho black bean sauce (black soy beans)
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
- Deep-fry: tempe and tofu golden, or to own preference.
- Sear in a pan, in the next order: onion, garlic, ginger, laos, lemongrass and chilies.
- Add coconut cream and turn the heat low.
- Add and simmer ± 10 min: peteh beans and green beans.
- Add and simmer ± 5 min: taocho, tofu, tempeh and tomato.
I had been wanting to make this recipe a long time and finally found the black bean sauce. I already had peteh beans in the freezer.Used tempeh only, like that better than tofu. Instead of peeling tomatoes myself I used half a can of peeled tomatoes, drained. The dish was very spicy, good taste and it was very nice over rice, did not need any meat, it was sufficient with the tempeh. I did add two stalks of pak soi finely cut. A good Indonesian recipe. Thanks for posting. Made for My-3-Chefs, November 2009.