1/2 Photos of Scotch Eggs
I got this from an older English woman at our church. It is one of our favorites. I prefer using the Italian bread crumbs but plain work just as well. The ingredients are approximations because it depends on the size of the eggs and how many you want to make. They even reheat well the next day in the microwave. Updated 11/8/05 with alternate cooking instructions
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel eggs.
- 2Wrap with sausage meat making sure that no egg shows through.
- 3Dip in beaten egg, then flour, then egg, then seasoned bread crumbs making sure to get a good seal.
- 4Deep fry in hot oil 6-7 minutes or until sausage meat is thoroughly cooked.
- 5Great served with mustard.
- 6Alternate cooking instructions: Instead of frying you may bake these.
- 7Heat oven to 425.
- 8Set a cooking/cooling rack on a cookie sheet.
- 9Place breaded eggs on cookie sheet.
- 10Spray breaded eggs with non-stick cooking spray (like PAM).
- 11Bake for about 30-40 minutes depending upon how thick your sausage layer is.
- 12Eggs will come out crispy and nicely browned.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scotch Eggs
Serving Size: 1 (237 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 665.5
- Calories from Fat 344
- Total Fat 38.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.3 g
- Cholesterol 346.4 mg
- Sodium 1337.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 32.4 g