1/2 Photos of Shanghai Wings - Copycat Chili's
a dinner party must....
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup bottled hidden valley ranch salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk or 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon wasabi powder
- 1 drop green food coloring
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 chicken breast fillets
- 4 -8 cups vegetable oil (as required by fryer)
- 1Combine flour, salt, peppers and paprika in a medium bowl.
- 2In another small bowl, whisk together egg and milk.
- 3Slice each chicken breast into 6 pieces.
- 4Preheat 4 to 8 cups of canola oil (use the amount required by your fryer) in a deep fryer to 375 degrees.
- 5One or two at a time, dip each piece of chicken into the egg mixture, then into the breading blend; then repeat the process so that each piece of chicken is double-coated.
- 6When all chicken pieces have been breaded, arrange them on a plate and chill for 15 minutes.
- 7As the chicken is resting, make the ginger-citrus sauce by dissolving the corn starch in the water.
- 8Pour the water into a medium saucepan along with the rest of the sauce ingredients and bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat.
- 9When the sauce begins to bubble, reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until thick.
- 10Remove the sauce from the heat and let it cool a bit.
- 11Make the wasabi-ranch dressing while your ginger-citrus sauce is simmering.
- 12Simply whisk together the ranch dressing, buttermilk, prepared horseradish, powdered wasabi, and green food coloring in a small bowl.
- 13Cover and chill this until the wings are done.
- 14When the chicken has rested and you're ready to cook, lower the boneless wings into the oil and fry for 5 to 6 minutes or until each piece is browned.
- 15Depending on the size of your fryer, you may want to fry the chicken in batches so that the chicken isn't too crowded in there.
- 16When chicken pieces are done frying, remove them to a draining rack or a plate lined with a couple paper towels.
- 17When all the chicken is fried, place the pieces into a covered container such as a large jar with a lid.
- 18Pour the ginger-citrus sauce over the chicken in the container, cover it up, and then gently shake everything around until each piece of chicken is coated with sauce.
- 19Pour the chicken onto a plate and serve the dish with wasabi-ranch dressing on the side.
Browse Our Top Central American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Central American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shanghai Wings - Copycat Chili's
Serving Size: 1 (343 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2431.6
- Calories from Fat 2137
- Total Fat 237.5 g
- Saturated Fat 32.4 g
- Cholesterol 69.8 mg
- Sodium 2533.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 42.1 g
- Protein 9.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chicken breast fillets