1/1 Photo of Shenkli (Swiss Doughnuts)
1 hr 10 mins
Muffin Goddess's Note:
Posted for ZWT II. This is adapted from a really nice Ohio cookbook that I received in a recent Zaar cookbook swap. I haven't tried this yet. Prep/cook time is a guess, and servings are an estimate because the original recipe is a little unclear about how big you are supposed to make the doughnuts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, lemon zest, and lemon flavoring of your choice.
- 2In another large mixing bowl, sift together 4 cups of the flour, salt, baking soda and cream of tartar.
- 3Add this to the butter/sugar mixture and mix well.
- 4Add the remaining flour to the dough, one cup at a time (dough should be very stiff).
- 5Roll by hand into long 1-inch-thick rolls (like snakes). Cut rolls into two-inch lengths and shape like fat fingers.
- 6Chill 4 hours or overnight in refrigerator.
- 7Deep-fry chilled dough in batches in hot oil until golden brown (if using a deep-fryer, use manufacturer's suggested setting. If using a deep skillet on the stovetop, heat oil until it shimmers but doesn't smoke).
- 8Drain on paper towels. Serve.
- 9These can be frozen once cooled.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shenkli (Swiss Doughnuts)
Serving Size: 1 (2309 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 71.6
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 17.9 mg
- Sodium 34.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 1.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of