Posted for ZWT II. This is adapted from a really nice Ohio cookbook that I received in a recent Zaar cookbook swap. I haven't tried this yet. Prep/cook time is a guess, and servings are an estimate because the original recipe is a little unclear about how big you are supposed to make the doughnuts.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, lemon zest, and lemon flavoring of your choice.
- In another large mixing bowl, sift together 4 cups of the flour, salt, baking soda and cream of tartar.
- Add this to the butter/sugar mixture and mix well.
- Add the remaining flour to the dough, one cup at a time (dough should be very stiff).
- Roll by hand into long 1-inch-thick rolls (like snakes). Cut rolls into two-inch lengths and shape like fat fingers.
- Chill 4 hours or overnight in refrigerator.
- Deep-fry chilled dough in batches in hot oil until golden brown (if using a deep-fryer, use manufacturer's suggested setting. If using a deep skillet on the stovetop, heat oil until it shimmers but doesn't smoke).
- Drain on paper towels. Serve.
- These can be frozen once cooled.