An old Southern recipe posted in response to a recipe request. From the US Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947. Cooking time is approximate.
- Cook rice in rapidly boiling salted water until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain thoroughly and add butter while rice is still hot.
- Cool slightly; add shrimp and two eggs.
- Season to taste and roll into balls or cylinders.
- Dip in cracker crumbs, then into beaten egg, and again into crumbs.
- Heat oil or fat to 375F and fry until brown.