Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These are a great appetizer for any occasion. The sauce will go well with any seafood.
Make and share this Shrimp Balls w/ Orange Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb med to large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 (8 ounce) cans water chestnuts, drained
- 2 eggs
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sesame oil
- prepared Chinese hot mustard
- 3⁄4 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- Prepare Orange sauce and set aside.
- Finely chop the shrimp and water chestnuts.
- In a medium bowl,lightly beat eggs.
- Stir in the shrimp mixture, green onions, cornstarch, ground ginger,salt, white pepper, and sesame oil.
- Shape mixture into balls.
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees.
- In a wok, or heavy skillet, heat oil to 375 degrees or until a 1 inch cube of bread turns golden brown in 1 minute.
- Fry 8-10 shrimp balls at a time in hot oil.
- Cook for 50-60 seconds or until golden brown, turning 2 or 3 times.
- Drain on paper towels and keep hot in preheated over or warming platter.
- Orange Sauce: In a small bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients.
- Stir to blend.
- Pour the Chinese mustard and orange sauce in separate bowls.
- Arrange the cooked shrimp balls on a platter or in a serving bowl.
- Serve with bamboo skewers or wooden toothpicks for dipping balls into mustard and sauce.
- Makes 50-60 shrimp balls.