Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These are a great appetizer for any occasion. The sauce will go well with any seafood.
Make and share this Shrimp Balls w/ Orange Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb med to large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 (8 ounce) cans water chestnuts, drained
- 2 eggs
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sesame oil
- prepared Chinese hot mustard
- 3⁄4 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- Prepare Orange sauce and set aside.
- Finely chop the shrimp and water chestnuts.
- In a medium bowl,lightly beat eggs.
- Stir in the shrimp mixture, green onions, cornstarch, ground ginger,salt, white pepper, and sesame oil.
- Shape mixture into balls.
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees.
- In a wok, or heavy skillet, heat oil to 375 degrees or until a 1 inch cube of bread turns golden brown in 1 minute.
- Fry 8-10 shrimp balls at a time in hot oil.
- Cook for 50-60 seconds or until golden brown, turning 2 or 3 times.
- Drain on paper towels and keep hot in preheated over or warming platter.
- Orange Sauce: In a small bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients.
- Stir to blend.
- Pour the Chinese mustard and orange sauce in separate bowls.
- Arrange the cooked shrimp balls on a platter or in a serving bowl.
- Serve with bamboo skewers or wooden toothpicks for dipping balls into mustard and sauce.
- Makes 50-60 shrimp balls.
Awesome! I used only 1 can of water chestnuts... all I had. I used fresh grated ginger root instead of ground ginger. I added 2 T. soy sauce, and 2 grated cloves of garlic. I used ground turkey since I had no shrimp. Yes, ground turkey. I can't wait to try this with shrimp! I also microwaved the "meatballs" to keep from having to fry them. They did not get a nice brown color, but with the sauces, it did not matter. Thanks for an inspirational recipe!
Just a tip on making the balls themselves, using a miniature ice cream scoop (meatball scoop i guess) with the little scraper blade is perfect for forming these. Just scoop in, fill the cup about halfway, and scrape over the hot oil. great extra taste to add to this recipe is about 1/2 teaspoon of old bay seasoning, or more, based on your taste. adds a nice zing to it.