Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
I think I got this recipe and others I have posted from the back of a package of egg roll wrappers. They keep nicely in the freezer for up to a month (thaw completely before frying) and for up to 24 hours in the fridge.
- 1⁄2 lb raw shrimp, peeled,deveined and chopped
- 1⁄2 cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons dry sherry
- peanut oil or salad oil
- 1⁄2 lb bean sprouts, chopped
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 15 egg roll wraps
- Mix together shrimp, cornstarch and sherry.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in wok or skillet until hot.
- Add shrimp mixture and stir-fry until pink.
- Remove from wok.
- Add more oil if necessary.
- Add bean sprouts, mushrooms and shallots.
- Stir-fry 1 minute.
- Remove from wok.
- Add a little more oil.
- Stir-fry celery and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add shrimp and bean sprout mixture to wok.
- Toss to mix well.
- Transfer to colander to drain and cool for 15 minutes.
- Egg roll filling directions---------------------.
- Make a sealer for folding egg roll by stirring together 1 Tbsp flour and 2 Tbsp water.
- Keep egg roll wrappers under a damp towel to keep them moist as your filling egg rolls.
- Place 1 egg roll wrapper with 1 corner facing you.
- Place 3 tablespoons of filling on the center of the wrapper.
- Fold bottom corner over filling.
- Moisten left and right corners with the sealer.
- Fold them to the center, over filling sealing them to the bottom corner.
- Brush sealer onto the top corner edges.
- Roll egg roll up away from you enclosing filling tightly.
- Press top corner onto egg roll to seal (like an envelope).
- Repeat for each egg roll.
- To fry egg roll, pour oil 3 inches deep into wok or Dutch oven.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees.
- Fry egg rolls 3 or 4 at a time, turning once, until brown.
- Drain on paper towel.
I had to improvise.....but it was so good! The store was out of egg roll wraps so i used 6 very thin pork chops (garlic salted and lightly peppered) and put 3 in the bottom of an 8x8 pan, layered the YUMMY part and then put the other 3 ontop, baked at 375 for about 40 min. (I also had to use Imitation lobster meat, instead of shrimp....allergic) But, really this was the best!!!